Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Retro

My day and this post began with 2 inspirations. The first is Rana's picture file on myspace called "Old School," featuring, as you might have guessed, pictures of friends from younger years. The second inspiration was Cari's post about reconnecting with friends from the past on facebook. A light bulb went off and for some reason I thought it would be fun to post some retro pictures of my own.

While Savannah napped I perused albums from childhood and teenage years. It was brutal. I couldn't find anything I wanted to post. You see, I began to go through an awkward stage around the time I was born until about last year. My picture quest turned into a self loathing fest. I don't mind posing for pictures, I just don't want to see them ever again. And might I add that Mandy Baker never went through an awkward stage. I have reviewed the evidence and her hair and clothes are adorable from 1st through 12 grade. How can this be? Just for spite, I have not included her in my picture gallery. Just kidding Mandy, you know I love you. You are not in the pictures below because you missed this church trip.

Note to self: It may be time to review your notes from the contentment bible study last summer. See chapter on contentment with one's self.


1993 HRBC youth choir trip to Disney World



Kelly, Kristen, Eeyore, Rachel, and Myself
We don't keep in touch with Eeyore at all. It's sad.


Breakfast in the condo with Kelly, Rachel, Kristen, and Rana. They gave us the pastries Kelly is holding every morning of that trip.

Did y'all remember that Chris Rice went on that trip? I have a picture of him on the bus sitting next to Paul Mason. I guess he just came along as a shaperone. Gosh he was so cute. I think we all had a crush on him back then.



Below is HRBC Senior Sunday 2001 when we graduated High School.
Just kidding. It was 1997.



Mandy, Jenny, Rachel, Rana, Mandy, myself, and Carly.

We need a current picture! We all look better now. Rachel's hair is short, dark, and trendy now. Rana's hair looks sleek and dark now too. Mandy obviously is still cute as ever. Not long after this picture, I discovered eyebrow waxing which greatly improved my attempt at beauty. And Carly no longer looks like she would rather stick a fork in her eye than stand beside us.
Maybe I will round up the courage to post more haunting pics from the past. I could start retro Wednesdays for some kind of self history appreciation. Oh, that would be scary.



5 comments:

CDJ said...

What a fun idea! Now about the awkward stage...how can I phrase this sweetly....SHUT UP! I'm callin' Linda Dillow and tellin' her you're poo-pooin' all over her teachings of self worth. I would have given cash money to be that "awkward". Are we done here?

how's that for a little late nite Barnabus? (love you)

Carly Strasser said...

OMG... that was funny. I DID look like I was going to stick a fork in my eye! but that's just because I was miserable in general back then- completely independent of you fabulous girls.
I'm so glad I'm not that age anymore- but it was fun reminiscing! thanks, Christina!
Love and miss you all...

Kathy said...

I wasn't going to say "shut up" but it was close. Maybe, girrrrrrl, what are you writing about. Ditto on the given cash during the awkward years. Now, I've got some pictures that say was she a boy or a girl. You were and are beautiful...okay maybe I should have said shut up.

Rachel Maples said...

god we where cute huh? haunting...but I don't miss those days although they were a bit happier and carefree!

Mandy said...

I want to know why you don't have any with BIG hair?? Does that show my age or what? Looks like you gals had a great time.

PS I'm thinking a 2nd round of that bible study wouldn't hurt any of us! HaHa!
Love Ya!