Friday, October 24, 2008

The Land


Those of us who grew up going to Centerville have a great appreciation for the dirt we once played in with our cousins. But as I age, I begin to look up more and notice the beauty that surrounds that place. One of my favorite things God has created are trees. Every tree has a unique and intriguing shape but then He adds a sunrise behind it, a blue sky over it, or golden leaves fallen below it. The same tree can recreate it's self a million times over each time taking your breath away.

I think this is a china berry tree. Again if you grew up going to Centerville, someone has probably thrown a china berry at you (in the spirit of love of course) and more than likely you have thrown one or two yourself. Is it the tree or the memory attached to the tree that makes me want to capture it?



For those who do not know, we have the Bain family reunion in Centerville on the land where my grandmother grew up. At least 5 generations (maybe 6, I'm not sure) in our family have pulled those beloved stickers from their shoes and feet.


Below is the sun setting behind the old wash house.


I kind of like this one blurry. It adds a mystic air to the picture. That feeling might have been lost if I had a tripod and shot it in focus. How many nights have we sat by that barn, circled around the fire, telling stories under the full moon?





Now you know my obsession. It's trees and sunsets. I had to shoot the wash house again the 2nd night. I love the meadow peaking through in the background.





From inside the wash house.






Although the land provides the dirt our kids love to play in and the meadow lays out a peaceful backdrop, we know that's not why we come to Centerville. We can find dirt anywhere (although I think Centerville dirt is special) and there are places with greater beauty. No, those are not the reasons we come, it's the...





No comments: