Thursday, October 30, 2008

Back to my story...

Once our weekend at Centerville concluded, we regrouped at mom's house. Early (4am) the next day, we continued on like the nomads that we are, but this time my Dad was at the wheel. Our mission, should we choose to accept it (and we did) was to surprise my grandmother for her 80th birthday in Colorado and take Dawn and the kids home.


We drove 14 thankfully uneventful hours to just outside of Durango and then stopped for the night at my sister's sister in law's house. We would have driven the entire route to Granny Smiles' that day but yet another adventure awaited us in Durango which I will post after this one.

In Durango, Savannah and I had the rare opportunity to share a bed and snuggle through the cold night together. As I laid beside her I realized the golden opportunity presented before me. As moms, every moment is filled with things that need to be done or thoughts about things we need to get done soon. Dad's on the other hand seem to have more access to uninhibited playtime with the child. I haven't figured out how they accomplish this, but they do. And yet, there Savannah and I laid on vacation without Daddy and plenty of potential to play.



As these thoughts are rolling through my head (you know the ones, "oooh, now I can be the fun parent for once!") I felt Savannah's fingers lightly touch my forehead. She thought I was asleep as she explored my face with endearing curiosity. Light as a feather the tips of her fingers ran sweetly around my eyes, down my check, and over my lips. I didn't dare peek and ruin the tender moment. Gratefulness for the precious mother daughter bond filled my heart while her little digits continued around my mouth and then straight up my nose! Roars of laughter and giggles filled the room providing a meomory less Hallmark like but all the more treasured!

No comments: