Friday, September 26, 2008

When-There-Is-No-Food-In-The-House Pizza Crust

Do you ever have those days when you are almost out of food but you don't want to brave the grocery store just yet? You know there are edible items lurking about, it's just a matter of assembling a few things in the right order to yield something palatable.



My solution to this almost weekly query is pizza night. No, not delivery. I'm talkin' homemade. The good stuff. I start with homemade dough (recipe below) which is quick to make but it does take time to rise. When Savannah goes down for a nap, I use the first 10 minutes to whip up the dough. We prefer a thin crust so I divide the dough in 1/2 and throw the other 1/2 in the freezer where is sits like a superhero awaiting another weeknight dinner emergency.

Now for the best part, the toppings. This is how I clean out my fridge! Usually I start with whatever pesto I have around ( regular or sun dried tomato are always stocked in my pantry or freezer) and spread it over the crust. I'll roast or saute whatever veggies I have in the house (I like roasted bell peppers and steamed broccoli but I'll use just about any veggie in the fridge) and then I add the cheese. Sometimes I use a parmigiano reggiano, ricotta, or I'll just sprinkle a little feta on. If I have fresh mozzarella on hand I will use it with just picked basil leaves, sauteed garlic, and straight out of the garden tomatoes.

For another favorite of mine, skip the pesto and brush crust with olive oil and minced garlic. Slice fresh tomatoes and sprinkle with salt. Throw on a few basil leaves and top with shredded smoked gouda.

There are a ton of possible combinations so use whatever you have on hand.





Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

1 teaspoon white sugar
1 ½ cups warm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

Directions:

In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top and let stand for 10 minutes until foamy.
Stir in olive oil and salt into yeast mixture. Then stir in whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour.
Need dough on floured surface for about 10 minutes.
Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a slightly light damp towel. Place in a warm place for about an hour until dough has doubled.
When dough has doubled, punch dough down. Divide into 2 pieces if you want 2 thin crust or leave as one if you want thick crust. Form dough into a tight ball (or 2 tight balls) and let rise again in a warm place until doubled. About 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll out dough and then drape it across your fists to stretch it out a bit more.
Brush with olive oil and add desired toppings.
Bake for 16-20 minutes until crust is thick.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Can't wait to try that! Here's the website for the trains http://www.clarkgardens.com/. Enjoy the weekend!