Monday, September 1, 2008

Call CPS!

This is Java catching a cat nap in my bedroom. She's our 13 year-old, frail, small, sweet but sometimes grumpy, cat. She's old, doesn't see, smell, or hear well. But most importantly, she doesn't have sense enough to hide from danger.




Savannah loves her dearly. This is danger. The picture below shows them curled up together watching a movie before bedtime. But let me tell you this is a rare moment.



The picture below is a clearer view of Java's day to day life. And she just lays there never moving out of the preschoolers reach.



Java has been a pirate, worn jewelry, bows, and almost my lipstick, danced, taken a ride in a doll stroller, and played "hide and go seek" unknowingly under a pile of pillows, just to name a few. But tonight's escapade tops them all.

Savannah was yelling from her room for us to come in there. She kept saying she had a present. Annoyed that she was summoning us to her room, I set off to reprimand her when I noticed she was sitting on a trunk of dress up clothes with a curiously big smile on her face. She repeated, "Momma, I have a present for you."

Nervously, I asked what was in the trunk. She just smiled proudly.

I opened the trunk to find Java calmly laying there. She looked up at me and let out the tiniest meow. She didn't even jump to get out and try to escape with the lid now open. Just one tiny meow. This is a cat who is broken and beyond a fight.

I tried to rebuke Savannah and explain why it is not appropriate to lock Java in a trunk but then I turned to Mark and cracked up. Mark tried to hold a stern face but he lost it as well. Who were kidding? It was too hard to not laugh at the pitiful sight. After all, Java does let her do this without so much as a hiss.

Somebody call CPS (cat protective services)!

1 comment:

Lee Ann said...

Poor Java! You know Mark was secretly hoping she would have stayed in there a little too long