Monday, April 26, 2010

Vegetable Frittata

From the kitchen...

Vegetable Frittata
6 farm fresh eggs
1/4 cup homemade creme fraiche (raw cream could be substituted)
a little oregano from the garden
mushrooms and green onions (leeks would have been good too) sauteed in organic butter
zest from 1 lemon
Grey salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup green heart gouda, grated

This was our eat-what's-in-the-fridge dinner the other night.

Whisk eggs, creme fraiche, zest, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour over skillet with sauteed veggies. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Sprinkle with grated cheese and put under broiler a few minutes until lightly browned.

I have no idea what exactly green heart gouda is by the way. I picked it up at whole foods a while back. It is a very hard cheese so it has kept well. The earthy flavor went well with the mushrooms. A raw jack or a parmesan would have worked well too.

Oh, I almost forgot that we had nitrate free canadian bacon that I sauteed with the veggies.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I joined a produce co-op and thought of you. I pick up the first order tomorrow.