Monday, April 5, 2010

The Tale of the Beach Babe Turned Punk Princess and the Sleeping Prince

Part 1





We just returned from 10 wonderful days in southern California. 10 days may sound long but I wasn't one bit homesick. With me not working the past few years, Savannah and I have had the opportunity to do a lot of traveling. Sometimes Mark came with us and sometimes he had to stay home and work. I've learned that when my family is all together I can stay gone indefinitely. But if Mark or a child is absent from the trip, no matter how much fun I am having, I am ready to go home by the end. The 4 of us were all present on this trip and I was not the least bit ready to come home!



One might ask why we would take a 3 month old baby on vacation. Are you kidding? Vacation provides what every mom wants after they give birth: someone else cooking, housekeeping (can I get an amen on that one!), and no responsibilities other than playing and bonding with your family. Pure awesomeness. I laugh every time someone says, "you know he won't remember this right?" He won't remember that I took him to the park the other day when Savannah had a play date there but that doesn't mean I am going to leave him out. Besides, he loved the one on one attention he got on the long flights where we had nothing to do but gaze into his deep blue eyes and coo back at him. The extra holding, cuddling, and attention followed him through out our vacation in everything we did from waiting in line for rides at Disney Land to relaxing on the beach.
In addition to all the bonding done on vacation, kids learn an infinite amount of information by traveling. Watching Archer you could almost see new neurological paths forming each time he experienced a new sight, sound, texture, and smell. And I won't even go inot all that Savannah learns. But that's not even the best part of traveling with kids. They are entertaining! For example, on the way to LAX Savannah threw up (we think she got car sick). We pulled over to clean her up and Archer had a blow out of a poopy diaper. Suddenly the wipes are missing, the same wipes we were just using to clean up Savannah. We need to catch our plane and one child is covered in throw up and the other poop with nothing to clean it up with in sight. We were jumping in and out of the mini van like circus clowns trying to find new clothes and where those mysterious wipes went. If a camera crew had been following us for a tv show folks at home would have been cracking up (it's always funny when it's happening to someone else!).
Anyway, we had a great time. We were glad to see Archer follow suit as a good traveler. He had 2 fussy evenings but that's it. I am beginning to think my kids do better on the go. It started young with Savannah too. When she started getting fussy from teething we would head to the mall or anywhere out of the house. And behold she would stop all fussing. If Archer ends up loving travel as much as Savannah, I may have to go back to work. Next on Savannah's list of places she wants to visit (besides Colorado which is always on the list) is Italy, France, Hawaii, and China.
I think I have created a monster.






1 comment:

Katy said...

How fun! I so believe in traveling with babies :)
Glad you had a nice get-a-way!