Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Tale of the Beach Babe Goes Punk Princess and the Sleeping Prince

Part 2

Our vacation began with 4 nights in a hotel right on Laguna Beach in Orange County. I fell in love with Laguna on a family vacation when I was a freshman in High School. To a 90's teenager it was the coolest place ever. I bought a ring for my toe (no one was wearing them back home yet) and I had my first veggie burger here. Man, I thought I was cool.

The view from our balcony.


Looking the other direction from our balcony.



Inside, our room had beachy mod style prints.
Notice the crib in the corner? babysaway.com will provide all your baby needs so you don't have to lug baby gear around when you travel. I LOVE them! We used this company when Savannah was little as well. Just pick out the stuff you need and they will have it waiting for you in your hotel room. If you change hotels, they will move the stuff to your new location. They provide everything from highchairs to wipes warmers. This trip we rented a full size crib and a stroller from them. Hotels usually offer pack-n-plays as a baby crib and if you get an old one they can be terrible. And strollers are too bulky to carry on a plane, at least the ones you have to have for an infant are. So at the airport we use a sling (not the recalled ones! hotslings.com) or bjourn.
Oh, and the baby bedding matched the room perfectly. I'm sure it was a fluke but still cool!


That first night I watched the sunset over the ocean from our room as I nursed Archer. It really doesn't get better than that.











Savannah is in love with the beach. She ran non stop gathering seaweed or kelp (I'm sure Carly could tell me what it was).








She actually said she likes the beach better than Disney Land.
That will save us some money in the future!
Here she is with her little friend Brent she met while we were there. They played together everyday on the beach.







Archer preferred to nap on the beach. He preferred to sleep on the plane. He preferred to sleep at Disney Land. He preferred to sleep at restaraunts. Thus he is named the Sleeping Prince in our story.







We found a french restaurant in Laguna that was amazing, C'est La Vie. French food is Savannah's favorite after Italian. We have French night often at our hours. She was excited to eat out at this "fancy" restaurant. It was a nice place. The food was excellent and the presentation artful and beautiful. I wish I had taken a picture of my entree. Unfortunately this was the evening Archer was fussy. Eventually we gave up and took turns walking around outside with him. He was fine as long as he was outside. The next morning we ate brunch here and he did fine. That was another excellent meal. Savannah had a breakfast pasta with eggs, bacon, and cream. Surprisingly it was great! I had a toasted bagel topped with smoked salmon, a poached egg, and a dill hollandaise sauce. Wow! That and their awesome coffee made the perfect brunch.
I wish we had food like that closer to home.
The picture below is the dessert they brought to us on the house when they found out we were in SoCal for Savannah's birthday. She was thrilled.





This dessert had some serious wow factor on the taste buds. I have had some wonderful desserts and this is up there at the top and worth the flight back!










1 comment:

Kathy said...

Looks like it was a GREAT trip! I want some of that dessert :)