Thursday, April 29, 2010

From the kitchen...

For today, Thursday 29th of April.

Breakfast: 6:30amI scrambled farm fresh eggs that I picked up while we were out yesterday. And the same as yesterday they were accompanied by buttered (organic) toast (homemade) and raw milk from a local farm.

The kids I rounded up more groceries at the Kroger here in town. No specialty store needed.

Lunch: Leftover grass fed roast from dinner Monday night and freshly cooked sweet potato with grey salt (not processed so it has naturally occurring minerals and no added chemicals) and organic butter.

Snack: Fresh pineapple that I cut up yesterday and conventional blackberries. Savannah and I also made sweet potato bread from the wheat flour I soaked in yogurt last night. If I let it soak for 24 hours I get a more tender product because the yogurt gets all those probiotics going and it kind of pre-digests the bread. But I had time to cook it earlier so I did. It turned out "different" but not because it soak less than 24 hours. It was suppose to be banana bread but all the ripe bananas were eaten so we cooked an extra sweet potato at lunch, mashed it up and threw it in the bread. It tastes great but looks odd with bright orange clumps through out the bread.

Dinner: Our vegetable was fresh green beans cooked in homemade chicken stock (made it last weekend and pulled it out of the freezer tonight). I have mentioned this on my blog before and I will say it again, one of the simplest and healthiest foods you can make is homemade stock. The entree of the evening was Grilled Beef Braciole with Grilled Tomato-Basil Relish. It sounds fancy but it was a simple and easy recipe that I made with venison round steak instead of beef. I also skipped the grilling of the tomatoes for the relish to further simplify things. This dish was a hit with the whole family.

Dessert: Savannah had her first slice of sweet potato bread. And for the sake of honesty I must tell you I had a dove chocolate. And if I am really going to be honest with you I must tell you that it was my 4th one today. Dang it, I am having a sweet tooth kind of day! Must mean I need to work out (I don't crave sweets when I am working out for some reason).

Now that I am writing out everything we eat, I don't see why people think we are weird??? So far I have not listed one strange food item. Hey, the Peteets are normal after all!

2 comments:

Katy said...

okay..i have so many questions and I am such a visual learner I wish you could walk us through your kitchen to know exactly how to do all this stuff! :) Also are there certain kitchen tools you have to have to make these things..like do you have a bread maker or do you just bake it in a pan? and how do you make organic butter?
Also, where do you go to get fresh eggs and milk....where do you get grass fed roast..I know I am probably asking way to many questions but I really would like for us to eat healthy! :)
Okay last thing...i know your a mother of two and very busy, so ignore this last request if it is too much...but if you have time can we see some pictures of this food to know what it's suppose to look like incase we try and make it :)
Thank you so much Christina..i'll try to keep my future questions at a minimum!

Katy said...

i just clicked on the recipe link and saw the picture of what the meal is suppose to look like..sorry I missed that before! :)
I am still interested in pictures of bread making ..