Monday, December 15, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook




For today, Monday, December 15, 2008



Outside my window...chilly 39 degree weather accompanied by grey, oh-so-not-uplifting rain.

I am thinking...why do I have so much running around to do today of all days? In and out of a car, in the rain with a car seat bound preschooler can be a daunting task. Sometimes after about the 4th destination, I give up.

I am thankful for...this giant fluffy cat named Cocoa sitting in my lap right now. She is a huge ball of snugly, fluffy mush and you can't imagine how warm and cozy it is to have her purring on my lap. Actually, she doesn't fit on my lap. It's more like she is wrapped around my lap and body.

From my kitchen...we will have my favorite pumpkin soup tonight paired with sandwiches. It's suppose to get down to 31 tonight so I hope a fire in the hearth sets the stage for our meal.

For your pleasure and per many requests here is the recipe:

Pumpkin Soup

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon curry
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup (1/2 inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
¼ teaspoon salt
2 (14 ounce) cans fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1 (15ounce) can pumpkin
1 cup low fat milk
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (optional)

Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in flour and next 4 ingredients, sauté 1 minute. Add sweet potato, salt, broth, and pumpkin, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat, cool 10 minutes.

Place pumpkin mixture in a blender or food processor, process until smooth. Return soup to pan and add milk. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently (do not boil). Remove from heat, stir in juice and garnish with chives.



I am wearing...chocolate brown stretchy running pants adorned with a matching jacket. The outfit is completed by my running shoes which I will need for running around in the rain today.

I am creating...a menu and decor for Amanda and Justin's wedding shower that is next Monday.

I am going...with my Sunday school girls to shop for our angel tree child today when they get out of school. They are always lots of fun so, I'm excited about that.

I am reading...a little of this and a little of that. I am hoping to get a good piece of escapism fiction today at the library. My goal is not to learn or think for a while which is very odd for a knowledge addict like me. What can I say? My brain is tired.

I am hoping...that Mark and I squeeze a date night in this week but it has been hard to find a sitter. I am also hoping to find time to take Savannah ice skating on the square. Maybe this rain will pass soon.

I am hearing...rain. Cold, wet, rain. And Savannah singing in the bathroom.

Around the house...the first of many loads of laundry is going and Savannah is relaxing after a very busy weekend.

One of my favorite things...teaching Sunday school to the 11th and 12 th grade girls. Most weeks we spend only 15 minutes on the lesson because their thirst for truth and genuine questions take us all over the place. They are revitalizing.

A few plans for the rest of the week...well, it has stopped raining but it looks like we have already reached our high for the day. The temperature has now dropped to 37 degrees. So, we will bundle up for our errands. This week we will work some, wrap presents, participate in lots of Christmas activities, begin unwrapping presents this weekend and host a Christmas slumber party for our high school youth girls.


Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...





Merry Christmas from the Peteets!