Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook


For today, Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Outside my window...grey coldness teases us with the possibility of snow over the next couple of days.

I am thinking...of all the ways Jesus fills the season and how I can share that with Savannah. So far her favorite is the shepherds hook candy cane that when turned upside down is a "J" for Jesus.

I am thankful for...Savannah's vivid imagination. This morning she awoke to ask me where Tinkerbell had gone. I had no idea where she was going with this but while I pondered what she was thinking, she said, "I thought you gave me the real Tinkerbell?" She's never had a Tinker bell doll or toy so at this point I was totally confused. "Mommy, remember? She sprinkled pixie dust on me and we flew around?" "You flew around your room?" I asked now suspecting it was a dream. "No, mom. We flew in the sun room and then in the laundry room. Remember, over the washing machine? When is she coming back mom?" There is no convincing her it was a dream!

From the kitchen...breakfast has been completed. With the emanate 29 degree weather, Mark is set on making chili and I am determined to make veggie chili. It's funny, Mark does not like veggies in his chili but to me, without them, it's just a bowl of meat. Again, to me, that's not very appetizing and almost a little odd. But veggie chili on the other hand that has no meat just beans and veggies, he is OK with that (perhaps he thinks of it more as a veggie soup). I guess it is because we have not desecrated the traditional chili in any way since the vegetables did not come in contact with meat. If we were normal people, we would combine both and have a meal of meat and veggies. What a novel idea!

I am wearing...red and pink plaid pajama sweats and a sweat shirt. I do plan on getting out of my pajamas soon...into sweats! Come on people, it's 29 degrees outside with an overcast grey sky. Give me a little slack.

I am going...perhaps to the library to check out some Christmas books. We bought a beautifully illustrated Nutcracker book at a children's boutique on the square yesterday but we are craving more Christmas. Savannah and I can't get enough.

I am hearing...a Curious George cartoon in the background. If we go to the library today, we will probably end up with one of his books as well. We always do.

I am creating...nothing! Yea! I hosted the Christmas tea last weekend which was lots of fun (pictures to come). Yesterday I had a public speaking engagement and spoke on the "Essentials to Easy Entertaining" and that went very well. Man, I wish I could do that everyday! I love public speaking. So, now I am free to bask in the glory of Jesus the rest of the season!

I am reading...over the weekend I read Jeanne's book, "Parting the Waters" and what can I say other than "wow?" Although I have heard her tell her story before it's like a book vs. the movie version. Written accounts relay an infinite amount of details that paint a portrait complete with passionate emotions and the visible brush strokes of divine intervention. I continue to pray over what I have read and for God's use of the book it's self and everyone it reaches. Whew! OK, now I must find some hardcore fiction. More vampires anyone? Just kidding. No, next on the list for me are the 8 books my faithful friend/cousin Allison has brought me. I have already read one and like "Parting the Waters" I am praying over what I have read fervently with hope and a broken heart.

I am hoping...to head up to the square for hot chocolate, ice skating, carriage rides, carolers, Christmas lights and all the other festivities soon! We normally are up there several times during December but we have not been up there once this year. Well, Savannah has with Lee Ann. By the way, check out Lee Ann's blog to see Savannah's blogging debut.

Around the house...laundry needs to be put away, presents need to be wrapped, a child needs to be dressed, and we are all happy to let them be undone!

One of my favorite things...our hearth. Once temperatures fall below 50 I am worthless. Like a family cat (or in our case with the family cats) I curl up in front of the warmth unable to draw myself away from it to accomplish anything. I devour book after book reading to my self or with Savannah or we all watch Emeril. Can you believe that is Savannah's favorite new show? She will watch a 1 hour episode of him cooking! It doesn't even hold my attention. I read through it. Look out Bobby Flay! A new chef is on the rise.

A few plans for the rest of the week...Thursday I will finish up my work for the month and complete my Christmas shopping. Christmas cards will probably get addressed tonight while I lounge in front of the fire. Pump it up on Friday with friends. Savannah will be in the Christmas parade of lights this weekend along with a Christmas dance recital. And hopefully we can pull off dinner with the Lessards as well.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you (it also counts for my retro Wednesday pic)...




December 2006
Savannah's Christmas program at the dayschool.
She is the one in pink pants and the white shirt front row.
You will notice other familiar faces like Lani, Ryan, Katie and Audra among others.
Wow, they looked like mere babes back then...I guess they were.

2 comments:

Lee Ann said...

In the car the other night I was asking Savannah about Christmas. She told me that at school all they can talk about is Jesus and she loves it a lot. Later in the convo I asked her if the angels would have come and told her that baby Jesus had been born if she would go see him. She said, "no I have to go to school and dance."

Christina said...

That's hilarious. Such a preschooler answer.