Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook




For today, Tuesday February 24, 2009

Outside my window...I have no idea other than it's dark out.

I am thinking...how neat it was that Savannah said this morning, "Momma, do you know what I dreamed last night?" and then she proceeded to recap her nighttime wonderland.

I am thankful for...coffee, normally anyway. But today my coffee love felt more like a burden as I contemplated my choice in the grocery store. There I stood in the coffee aisle debating who to aid and who to deny. My usual coffee covered all the bases: decaffeinated without chemicals using the dutch water process, organic (chemicals used to grow coffee beans have been known to burn the hand of the children, yes children who pic them), shade grown meaning they did not bull doze a rain forest to grow the beans, and fair trade meaning they don't cheat the small third world farmer who grew the beans. Now you see my dilemma, no other brand in our store had all goverment regulated certifications. So, do I want to protect the rain forest but gyp the small poverty stricken farmer because no other coffee has all the certifications? Or should I save the children, earth, etc and buy the organic (but not shade grown so I guess I am not really saving the planet)?

From the kitchen...Mexican casserole served over mixed greens with lots of avocado. It was a new recipe that I tweaked just a bit. I added shredded zucchini to it. With that, the avocado, fresh tomatoes, mixed greens, beans, and olives it took on a fresh flavor and texture.

I am wearing...pajamas. Bummer. By the way, thanks you Meagan for noticing that I had on a decent outfit last week. You are so sweet! But, I promise I was dressed cute earlier! Maybe I should report what I was wearing and that would be jeans, heeled brown boots, purple shirt with a fitted, short sleeved brown jacket that ties at the waste over it.

I am reading...not Jane Austin's Persuasion. I just couldn't make it through that book. Moving on to more exciting material, my mom sent me more Amish books. This week I started Beverly Lewis' trilogy, Annie's People. She is a great christian fiction author and I promise those Amish folks provide plenty of interesting material. However, I must caution you. Her books will make you want to bake warm homemade bread, host a corn husking bee, and puree your own applesauce with a good girlfriend or two (I love how the housewives work together! No one tries to do it on their own)in preparation for winter. All right Cari, we need to get together and start your garden!

I am hearing... Savannah's bath water drain. This is my cue to wrap up blogging.

A few plans for the rest of the week...the usual stuff plus play dates and we hit the 12 mile mark in our marathon training.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...




Relay for Life 2008
Raising money for the American Cancer Society, our MOPs group walked from 7PM to 7 Am. That's right, all night long. It's coming up again in one month. Please consider donating.

No comments: