Friday, February 6, 2009

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

As I have mentioned before I have had several requests for recipes and nutritional information and they are increasing in frequency every week. Procrastination has allowed me to avoid the decision of where to begin. But common sense says to begin at breakfast.

The following recipe works well as breakfast or a snack for both kids and adults. The chocolate and peanut butter flavors pair well with a banana, milk, and coffee. Who needs Wheaties? This is the breakfast of champions!

Breakfast Bars

2 ½ cups old fashioned quick oats
½ cup flax seed
¼ cup dark cocoa powder (preferably organic)
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup raw honey
1 – 2 tablepoons wheat germ
½ teaspoon spirulina (found at health food stores)
½-1 cup HOT water

Mix all ingredients and form them into patties for individual servings or put into a loaf pan and cut a slice as needed. If you make individual patties, they look nice (and taste great) with a 1/2 a pecan on top. I just put mine into a loaf pan a minute ago and topped it with chopped walnuts. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Warning: they don’t really taste good until they have cooled in the refrigerator.

My mom gave me this recipe and I ammended it a little. I would give credit to the original creator but I'm not sure who it is.

3 comments:

CDJ said...

JW is always bugging me to concoct new snack ideas. I'm sending him this link as a shopping list. Thanks for the recipe!

So good to see your sweet smile today. I DO miss you. What can we do about that? Is it time for a Spring garden yet? Lettuce, Spinach, peppers, & tomatoes...these are the veggies I dream of harvesting.

Billie said...

The credit goes to Sara Snow.

Billie said...

The credit goes to Sara Snow.