Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Peteet's Retreat

Well, we are rested, rejuvenated and ready to take on 2009 after our two week holiday break. After my last whiny post (which I apologize for) I went for a good long run. It's now clear that I am addicted to exercise induced endorphins. Without them I am sluggish and my mood plummets. Thus was my problem immediately after Christmas. I had gone too long without my drug and I needed a fix!

After my return to normalcy, we enjoyed a week of reading, games, football, exercise, and friends around the Peteet house. New Years Eve friends came over for smores, sandwiches, silly string, and sparklers (I love a party with alliteration!). Yes, the next day after I swore off hostessing for months, I invited friends over. I told you running rejuvenates me. I am again ready to take on the world! One party at a time ;)

Here are the highlights from Christmas:
Our tree.
I love the way the lights reflect off the hardwood floors.



The week before Christmas, we headed up to the square...


to see Santa.



We attended a birthday part for Jesus with many friends.





Savannah helped tell the story with finger puppets. Afterwards the children miraculously sat still and emitted the cherub sound of children singing Christmas carols. One of the most beautiful moments of Christmas.





Then we were off to Grandma's in Dallas for a week to meet up with Ella and Burton.
Savannah helped Grandma make homemade sweet potato cinnamon roles.
She is an expert at needing dough!




Lots of laughter.







More Christmas carols








The kids can't resist the guitars.










Unwrapping of a few presents.
The used ribbon and bows provided much entertainment.









A spontaneous Christmas fashion show featured Savannah wearing her aunt's underwear.
I walked in on the end of this scene just in time to snap a picture.
I take no responsibility here!
Sorry, Dawn. But you had to know your underwear would end up on my blog.
At least I didn't post that pair you got for Christmas;)






Sweet Burton.







I returned back home for less than 24 hours to host a Christmas slumber party for our church's youth high school girls. We had a blast and stayed up until 5:30 am! After which I drove back to Dallas just in time to co-host a wedding shower. It was insane!
But I love my girls. They oddly enough make me feel young and old at the same time.
And I love my cousin and his soon to be bride.
So, it was worth it.







Next was Christmas with my Dad's side. I wish we could have spent more time with them.
The kids had a blast and Savannah plays with her cute, girlish pink Tinker Toys non-stop!






The following day was spent with Mark's side of the family.
Savannah loves her Papa and Sherry!
This is the post-present hug.





That night (Christmas Eve) we threw reindeer food out in the yard. Ella and Savannah thought this was way cool.
Notice the legs? That's me. And that's as close as it gets to me being in pictures during any holiday or event.
A down side to being the photographer.





I held Burton and helped Ella set out the last of the reindeer food.






Afterwards we finished the cookies for Santa. There was more double dipping, sprinkle eating, and illegal licking than any sanitation commission could stomach. We went through no less than 10 defiled spoons and 10 defiled knives. I try to run a clean kitchen.








You can read the guilt on Ella's discoloured lips.






This cookie was special made for Santa.







Christmas morning provided excitement and magic for Savannah.














Next we went to Dot-Dean's house for Christmas with my mom's family.
More joy. More cousins. More fun.




But sadness struck that afternoon when Ella left to go back to Colorado. Savannah and Ella both were on the verge of tears. Savannah kept saying,"I'm so sad."
I think it might have been their most intense good bye yet.
This is the two girls hugging good bye for the 8th time after Ella was strapped into her car seat.



And with that Christmas was over and our week of rest began.

























1 comment:

Kathy said...

Enjoyed the pictures - wow, ya'll were on the go. Glad you're running again!