Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For today, January 6, 2009



Outside my window...the rain has ceased after two non-stop days of down pour. The grey skies are beginning to part and reveal a hint of bright blue.



I am thinking...about vacation. It always happens in January. I begin to feel the need to plan. Savannah and I are going on an awesome train trip to Chicago this spring with my Dad. She loves sky scrapers and is a little obsessed with subways so my Dad thought to top it off with a train ride as a means to get there and you have the perfect trip for her. I agree. But other than that, we don't have a family vacation planned this year which is very unusual. However, Mark started a new job today (very exciting!) and so we won't be vacationing with him until he gets more settled in this new position. In the mean time, I will plan multiple trips in my head and then we can just pick one when we have the opportunity to ;)



I am hoping...that Mark gets home in time for me to go to a meeting tonight. His new boss is in town to help him get set up. It's likely that will take a while.



I am thankful for...Mark's new job. In light of today's economy, we feel amazingly blessed.



I am going to... post the link for The Simple Woman's Daybook because I always forget to!



From the kitchen...coconut milk soup. Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it! It's deliciously memorable.



I am wearing...jeans (yea! no sweats or PJs!), a long sleeve dark brown shirt, a new necklace that Becky made me for Christmas and house shoes. In about 10 minutes I will trade the house shoes for ballet slippers and pick up Savannah from day school.



I am creating...nothing really, but I am reorganizing the house and cleaning things out. I began in Savannah's room today while she was at school and man was it fun!



I am reading...Frommer's travel guide to Italy. This is one of my favorite forms of literature to read. It contains, history, food, culture, and most obviously...travel. I have several travel guides lined up after this one.

I am hearing... "Yours" by Steven Curtis Chapman playing on XM. The perfect background music for my global frame of mind right now.

Around the house...everything is clean, and laundry is done but cabinets, closets and shelves await my attention in hopes of redeeming organization.

One of my favorite things...uh, travel people. At church on Sunday 2 different people mentioned they were planning trips to disney world. I jumped in anxious to help but refrained from screaming out, "I'll plan it for you!" Side note: I don't care if you want to plan a trip to Six Flags, I LOVE to help and most likely have already researched your destination just for fun. So, if you want help, I'm there! After church Mark asked sarcastically, "What did you go to graduate school for?" I answered, "Umm. Nutrition." And what do you really want your career to be?" In spite of being thankful for my education I humbly reply, "To plan vacations and trips." It's a good thing I didn't become a travel agent though. With the internet, they are shrinking in number. I'll just have to find another career in that arena that uses my food expertise as well;) Just for kicks: www.disboards.com and check out there unbiased and honest weekly podcast. There, now I feel like I helped.

A few plans for the rest of the week...a wedding, my sister and her kids coming in from Aspen, a couple of meetings, hope of a possible date night, and all the everyday stuff.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...



Walt Disney World
Fall 2007
Savannah was young enough to believe in the magic.
Mark thought Jasmine was pretty magical too!


2 comments:

Kathy said...

I laugh everytime I see this picture. I just looked through our book this week...and I laughed again.

Congrats on Mark's new job!

Jen said...

Dawn finally emailed me your blog address. I can keep better track of you guys now. Thank you for being hip with technology because your sister sure is not!!