Thursday, January 22, 2009

Resolution Follies

Mark and I arrived home from a week of chaotic Christmas celebrations to find an over entertained, sugared up, whiny kid. Savannah has always been one to creatively play on her own but we noticed that even before Christmas, she began the habit of needing someone to entertain her. This behavior along with a few others prompted us to get her back to her normal diet.

Around the time of Thanksgiving "treats" began to increase in our daily routine. And before we knew it Savannah was expecting a "treat" of some kind after every meal and gold fish type crackers (we buy the organic, non-hydrogenated version of this cracker but it's still junk food) for a snack.

So, Mark laid down the law the week of New Years. And you know that book, "Have a New Kid By Friday?" Well, he should have just written, "Get junk food and sugar out of your kid's diet and have a new kid by tomorrow!"

It was amazing! And we didn't have that much processed food in the diet to begin with! It's not like there are cheetos or anything crazy like that around our house. Just imagine if other people nixed the junk out of their kid's diets. Needless to say we were content with the changes in Savannah. She was back to her normal happy self. That was until a few days later when she yelled "POO POO!!!!!!!!!" every 15 minutes or so.

OK. Change of plans. Fruit only at meals (unless it's a banana) and cheese sticks, yogurt (plain, not that yucky flavored kind), or keifer for a snack. And a few organic crackers at snack time every now and then.

Live and learn.

Next up on the list of follies is me. I run but that's really not enough to get my full body in shape. So, Mandy being the good friend that she is, let me borrow her "Beach Body" workout DVD. She said it's an intense workout but she got burned out on it after several month. This is a woman who goes to zumba 3x week so if she said it was a good work out it will be a good work out.

Mark began his new job and with it came more traveling. Which in return, prevents me from getting out and running. So, one day I popped that DVD in and got to work.

The first thing I noticed was the timer at the bottom of the screen. 60 minutes. OK. The next thing I noticed, there was no warm up. My new on screen trainer just jumped right in. OK. 15 minutes later I realized if she maintained this intensity, I was not going to last 30 minutes much less 60! Next she said let's take a break for a minute and jog in place. Uh, can I sit on my mat for my break? I don't think my legs will hold me any longer.

I thought I was in pretty good shape but after 30 minutes I had to stop. I began to think of Mandy as the goddess of fitness for doing this video several times per week for months!

I sat down and looked at the DVD case to try to get more information about this insane woman leading me on TV. And I realized, I put the wrong disk in, level 3 no less.

We are trying in the Peteet household but not without humility!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am with you on the sugar. My kids are highly affected not only by the sugar but by the artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. I don't buy them, but over the holidays people give my kids some crazy stuff! ps. life without folly is dull!

Katy said...

Hey Christina,
Can you give more ideas on healthy foods and snacks for kids.
Thanks,
Katy