Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Rundown

Today's morning outing brought us to the Thomas house for a play date. Kate and Savannah played together contently and needed no intervention so Teresa and I were free for endless conversation. A rare treat in the preschool world. However, I must admit while Teresa can be captivating with her conversation, my mind wandered as I looked around her kitchen. It was beautiful. The house was just built a year ago but it looked like they moved in yesterday. Pristine appliances, gorgeous crown molding, and lovely decor left me questioning my own kitchen but not for the previously listed reasons. It was the counter tops.



I just stared at them confused but embarrassed to ask. On the island sat a two tiered pie holder with beautiful unique plates in them. But...that was the only thing on the island. Around the rest of the counter tops there was a decorative canister set (one I've seen on design shows before, oh, she is good). Again, that was it. Is this a model home? Where is all the must-have, can't-live-without-it kitchen paraphernalia that plagues my counters?



My next step was to come home and stare at my own counter tops and here is the rundown. To begin I have a stainless steel peculator for our daily coffee. That's a must have (maybe they are not coffee drinkers?). Next door to the peculator lives the blender and we use that almost daily for morning smoothies and other cooking ventures (not everyone blends, I understand). Turning the corner on the counter we come to the toaster (a beautiful stainless steel retro looking one. Do they not toast?). Somehow I find almost a daily use for it as well due to so many recipes that call for toasted nuts or seeds.

Moving to the other side of the sink I have a large copper colander that I use to store onions and sweet potatoes and to the right a smaller version of the same colander contains garlic and a variety of peppers from the garden (where do they keep theirs hidden?). Next in line but a couple of feet away lies the dreaded but necessary "kitchen waste headed for the compost container." That whole section ends with a corner where I prop us recipe books and recipes that have been pulled to use for the week.

Did I mention on the micorwave we have a huge cool rustic bowl (from Wisteria of course) that holds all of our fruit? You have to have a huge fruit bowl!



Already, this is not looking good. I have lots of stuff out and I am wondering, "Do I need it?" and, "Does Teresa have the same crap just cleverly hidden?"



I'll contemplate that in a minute, first we must finish my counter review. By the stove I have a beautiful pitcher with wooden spoons and other things I like to grab in an instant when I am in the trenches of cooking. And one must have a knife set out. Let's face it. I am home all day. That means all three meals are eaten and prepared at home. By me. I am not exaggerating when I say I go to my knife block no less than 10 times a day, usually much much more than that. A women needs easy access to good knives.



And last we have my favorite possession that turns me into a culinary goddess with the simple motion of plugging it in. My panini press. I have no idea how I ever lived without it. All of my life I have hated (again this is no exaggeration because I NEVER exaggerate) sandwiches. Do you know how hard it is to go through life and hate sandwiches? You have no idea. So, the panini opened up a world I never imagined. This amazing shiny machine took the sandwich to a place I never dreamed it could go. A speedy breakfast, amazingly unique lunch, and gourmet dinner can all be prepared with this showstopper.



Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that there is usually a couple of bowls of things fermenting or rising that have to sit somewhere (bread, rolls, pizza dough, hamburger buns, yogurt, and probably a few you just don't want to know about!) Let's not even begin to discuss what my floors look like with all that flour!



So I ask you, what can be taken away? And where are all of Teresa's gadgets, tools, and appliances? How can I make my worn out, abused kitchen look as modelesque as hers? Is modlesque even a word? The world may never know...

3 comments:

CDJ said...

Did you check behind her shower curtain in the guest bath? I saw on a show several years ago that if visitors come with little notice, you can cram everything in a laundry basket, set it in the tub, and have "closure".
Embrace your functional kitchen! You're cute enough to carry it.

Christina said...

You are such a great encourager Cari!
Somehow I doubt Teresa is hiding her junk behind a shower curtait but wait. We are having the Hollands over for dinner tonight and I have an empty laundry basket waiting to be used...

Glenna Workman said...

Her kitchen is beautiful. I was just teasing her about the fact that nothing is on her countertops! And Teresa does cook. I, obviously have a clutter problem and she doesn't!