Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Where I'm Coming From

A couple of weeks ago I began to post the our family's food journal. But as I read my posts I realized they weren't adequate to help people. Important information was missing. For example what we don't eat is almost more crucial than what we do eat. And I never got around to posting why we eat the things we do. So let's start over from the beginning and I will tell you where I am coming from as a dietitian.

Since college I have strived to eat healthy but that can entail an array of ideals depending on the decade.

"Eat eggs. they are the perfect protein."

"No, eat egg whites because they don't have the fat and cholesterol. You don't want heart disease do you?"

"No, eat the whole egg because the yolk has fat soluble vitamins."

"I hear egg beaters are best because they aren't even eggs!"

"Don't eat eggs at all. They come from an animal!"

"Wait, you have to buy cage free eggs. Then, it's ok."

"No, buy the eggs fortified with omega 3 fatty acids. They help your heart. But I don't know if you are still just suppose to eat the whites."

"Didn't you hear that the American heart Association now says we can have 2 eggs per week and we won't die immediately afterwards?"

And that's just on the topic of eggs. I could go on about carbs, fat, meat, milk, whole wheat, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, and a million other food items. Is the on going debate of what exactly is healthy overwhelming you?

No matter what food item we choose to follow the debate on over the years the same theme remains. It begins with a food found in nature, man decides the food is bad and/or he can make it better, hype surrounds this new epiphany, everyone MUST consume it, years later it is discovered this new version is toxic, research shows the original version was actually healthy but now people are scared to eat either.

Think about it. Pick a food and see if my theory fits.

This same theme is found in the bible over and over again when man thinks he has a better plan than God. Man then screws things up. And when things are bad enough he returns to God's perfect plan.

The food we consume is so far from what God created for us.

Our great grandmothers cooked with meat from the local farm or their own, vegetables from their garden, milk from their cows, and eggs from their chickens. (these are actualy "whole foods" by the way, not processed food you buy at the store Whole Foods. I love them but they have plenty of junk too.)

Our grandmothers cooked with meat sometimes from the grocery store, vegetables sometimes from the garden, milk from the milk man, and sometimes some canned goods to make things easier.

Our moms cooked with meat, eggs, milk and vegetables from the grocery store, store bought bread, canned goods, and occasionally they bought fast food.

Our generation does not cook with ingredients. Recipes call for a can of this, 2 cans of that, a jar of this, and a box of that. Actual food is not listed. The rest of the diet is filled in with fast food.

We don't know how to cook with real food. We don't even know what real food is.

Because God does not make mistakes and man cannot help but make mistakes our family avoids manufactured (man-made) foods. Nutrition trends will come and go but in the end research ( I am a science gal after all you know) always backs God-made food.

So when you are trying to figure out if you should avoid genetically modified foods, pesticides, or fruit loops ask yourself these questions:

Is this something that naturally occurs in nature?
Have people been eating this for thousands of years or is this new?
Does it resemble the way it is found naturally in nature?

Try it on any food, you will be amazed.

I am starting a food blog that will be up soon that goes into this and so much more in detail. Most importantly I will show you what this mantra looks like on the dinner table (and let me tell you the Peteets eat some really good food!).

If you live locally I will be teaching a class this summer for fellow mommas (it will be a play date for the kiddos). Contact me if you want more info.

5 comments:

Megan said...

I don't even have the words to describe what I felt reading this post.

It's crazy how God can give us each gifts.... even in the area of dietetics (Is that correct spelling?) and then take those and use them.

I love your spiritual parallel. And your passion was completely evident!

:)

I want to be that kind of eater/cooker.

Kathy said...

I remember last year when I started the eastern medicine and the dr. told me what I couldn't eat. I was driving home thinking that I needed to start eating "Christina-healthy"...and I did. But, I do need to do much better.

I'm loving the produce co-op.

Anonymous said...

I would love to be a part of you classes! I have been trying to educate myself on my own but honestly have no idea how to implement any of the knowledge!!!

Katy said...

WOO-HOO! I'm so excited! Sign me up for the class!!!
THANK YOU SMART NUTRITION LADY! :)
Can't wait for the food blog too!

Sara Warren said...

Christina, I have several bread recipes that I enjoy making. How can I take the recipes I have and use the soaking method at the same time? How much should I cut down on the liquid I add?

Also, I buy cold pressed olive oil. Is this a healthy oil or should I just go to organic butter instead of oil at all?

Thanks!
Sara (April's S-I-L)