Friday, May 7, 2010

Archer's Stats

Yesterday Archer went for his 4 month check up at the doctor's office. I cannot believe he is 4 months old already. He weighed in at just under 16 pounds and is 25 inches long. He has sweet chubby cheeks that are so big they often rest on his chest and beg to be smothered in kisses. Above those irresistible cheeks are 2 big dark blue eyes that seek only to hold your gaze. Archer searches until he makes eye contact and then holds it until you break it. Sometimes I feel as if he can see down into my soul.
He is still a fairly quiet baby who prefers to spend his days outside. The two things that always seem to sooth him should he get fussy are his sister in his face talking to him and the front porch swing. The latter has become an evening ritual for the whole family. Just the other day I sat on our front porch swing with Archer in my lap and Savannah by my side reading the tales of Brer Rabbit no less, with azaleas blooming all around me and thought, "It really doesn't get more southern than this. Here I sit rocking my babies on the porch surrounded by quintessential southern garden beauties and a good southern book." All I was missing was a glass of iced tea. Unfortunately I don't drink iced tea.
Before you start thinking our little man is the perfect baby I must confess he has a fault. Apparently he got wind that he might be our last baby. And in thinking that he has his position as baby of the family is secured for life he has begun to play the part. His sweet and happy disposition quickly changes to pouty fussiness when attention is diverted from him. I'm not sure how to nip this habit in the bud. Suggestions are welcome. I am thinking about having staged conversations in front of him about how Daddy and I plan to have 4 more kids. Maybe this will prompt him to fall in line as a team player. Do you think it will work?

No comments: