Saturday, September 12, 2009

Information Ban

It's no secret that I having been in an intense nesting mode with this pregnancy. I expect any moment a flock of birds will come to lay eggs on our roof thinking it is the biggest nest they have ever seen. But, my nesting goes deeper than physically getting the house ready.

Books have been studied and even devoured on topics ranging from nutrition to vaccines. In hopes of making the best decisions possible for the developing life inside of me and the already present bundle of energy sitting beside me, I have researched subject to the point of overload!

Although most of my friends think we eat over-the-top healthy, there is always room for improvement. I have cut a few of our lingering bad habits off the menu (mine is breakfast cereal, even the low sugar organic stuff is processed junk) and replaced them 10 fold with good things. Homemade stock is boiling on the stove, things are fermenting and cultivating on the counters, and I am in constant search of local farms with the freshest milk, butter, and eggs. I've tried to make changes a little at a time, but that has never been my style.

So, after sifting through 100's of studies on these various topics (I won't even go into vaccines but email me if you want to talk) and weighing my choices, I decided to take a break and read fiction for a while.My brain was on fire. Which I might add, can cause a headache. But a trip to the store prompted yet another search.

I ran into a friend who mentioned her kids were attending a local Montessori school. If you live in our area then you know what a hot topic schools are. As soon as you get pregnant people start asking you what you are going to do for school. I began looking into it about the time we got married (years before Savannah!).

At the time I knew a public school teacher who told me horror stories (Cari, it was you SIL. She didn't mean to scare me. She was just telling me about her day while we walked). Mark and I decided then that we would send our kids to Trinity, our local private school. Although at the time, we didn't know anyone who went there. Our friends either didn't have kids yet or had babies.

As time passed most of our friends put their kids in Trinity. Yet, Mark and I never could get a warm fuzzy feeling about it (although all of our friends and their kids love it. Not trying to bash here.) We just didn't feel like that's where God wanted us.

We began to review the options I looked into while pregnant, the Montessori school, homeschooling, the highly sought after bilingual program at the public school down the street...and so on.

Pray. pray. pray. We are a year out from Savannah starting Kindergarten.

So, we began to think the bilingual program was for us. We know several families who love it.

But back to my trip to the store. I ended up at my friends house hearing testimony about the Montessori school and it brought to mind all the things I had loved about it before. She also reviewed other options she had researched that I haven't thought of. I left there with an over stuffed head and ready to release some of this info on Mark.

I confessed to Mark my own curiosity on so many subjects at once has left me overwhelmed with information. I went for a walk to mellow out a bit.

And wouldn't you know that I ran into another friend who dropped another tid bit of info into my lap. I have always wanted to do a home birth but do to a couple of factors, I did not think I was a candidate. My friend talked about her recent home birth and mentioned that her midwife has been doing this for decades and even does VBAC home births!

Once again I came home to Mark, " Did you know there is a midwife in our area that has done a ton of VBAC home births? I am going to have to look into that."

Luckily, my laid back husband put his foot down on this one. "Your a VBAC, I'd rather you have it at the hospital."

I was happy with his reply. Not that I don't want to give birth at home. I think I just wanted to be told, "stop". Even adults need boundaries. I'm sure I will still call the midwife. After all, I am researching which to have in the hospital with me. A midwife or a doula?

Someone make me stop!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Ditto with Mark on you and the hospital :)