Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Secret To My Success, Busted

Yes, I am still alive. I think this is the longest I have ever gone without blogging. As you know, we were gone 2 weeks on the train trip and then only home a few days before we left again for 5 days. That leaves many undone things on my to-do list at home. Therefore, no time to blog.

I have been feeling pretty good as long as I keep moving. It seems like if I rest, then I am more tired and need a nap. But, when I exercise and keep myself busy then I feel like my normal energetic self. A few bouts of nausea haven't slowed me down either thanks to my accu-p's home remedy.

And speaking of my accu-p, I went to see him this morning. He tested all my levels and was pleased to see that I have remained "balanced." There was only one area that needed a little treatment (just 1 needle in each arm). And then he mentioned that my energy levels across the board were low.

For those of you who don't know, my need for perfection extends to health as well. Once while I was pregnant with Savannah the nurse told me my blood pressure was a little high. I assured her she had made a mistake. My blood pressure could not possibly be high and she must not wright that retched number in my chart but take the measurement again. She tried to console me and tell me it was nothing to worry about. I said, "I'm not worried, I know it's wrong." She took it again and it was on the low side of normal as usual. I know, I know...I need therapy.

Back to today, I asked my accu-p what I could do to get my energy levels up (after all, I would hate to have an abnormal reading on my chart;). He said my body is just adjusting to being pregnant and I should rest. That's when I shared with him that the busier I am and the more I exercise the better I feel and the more energy I have. He basically told me I was addicted to "runner's high." The endorphins released by exercise are giving me a false sense of energy.

"So does that mean I shouldn't run that 1/2 marathon in October?" He laughed, "Uh, no. You might want to tone things down a bit." (Don't worry, I'm not planning on running it. Every health professional has told me it is not a good idea which I already knew. I just keep asking for kicks to see if someone will eventually say yes.)

So, what am I to do? Lay around and feel more groggy? Or continue to mask the fatigue with a flood of endorphins? I already feel lazy, I hate to slack off more. Most likely I will just lower the intensity of my workout for a while (but I feel like I have already done that!).

And then it hit me. I just had this conversation with a good friend yesterday. She is having a medical issue and I brought up something food related that is directly related to the area of her body that is not functioning correctly. She replied, "But I can't live without it. It makes me feel good."

I tried to explain the her that just because it made her "feel" good does not mean it's good for you. Feelings are misleading. I think it even says that somewhere in the Bible but I can't think of where right now. Anyway, you can't keep doing someting for the sole reason that it makes you "feel" good. You need more information than that. Hummm, let me swallow my own advice for a minute and I'll get back to you.

No comments: