Thursday, June 18, 2009

Double The Baby Bump

Today began with a visit to my OBGYN in hopes of hearing the baby's heart beat. I laid on the table as he prepped my growing tummy. And then he cocked his head and began to mash around. It's never good when your MD looks at you and cocks his head!

"Your uterus is really out there...and hard...and high."

"Yeah, I started showing early this time. At 5 weeks I no longer had a flat stomach."

"Yes, but your uterus is more the size of someone 16 weeks (I am 10 weeks by the way) and we know you are not 16 weeks pregnant. We are going to need to check and see if you are having twins."

"Uh, what?"

"Your uterus is dramatically large so I would like to check today. Do you have an extra 5 or 10 minutes to spare so we can wait for the sonogram room to be free?"

Did he just use the term "dramatically large" to describe me? That's something a pregnant woman never wants to hear!

"Oh, yes. I do have time to stick around and find out if I am having twins! I can spare a few minutes for that."

I calmly called Mark and left him a message. "Hi honey, I'm still at the Dr.'s office. I'm showing "dramatically" more than I should so he thinks there might be twins. I'll call you back soon."

Meanwhile Mark checks his message and hyperventilates. I was calmly in shock.

Finally it's my turn to go into the next room. I watched the TV screen and saw the cutest little figure swimming around like crazy. That's right, just one little figure. And it was normal size (I worried I was carrying a giant!). My Dr. even said if there turns out to be more than one baby, he won't charge me for the delivery.

Whew! What a day. Now, me and "dramatically large" uterus are going to go lay on the couch!

3 comments:

Katy said...

so is there a chance another one is hiding in there?? :)

Kathy said...

I liked "uh, what?"...that made me laugh.

Carly Strasser said...

wow- quite the exciting dr's visit! I was on the edge of my seat reading that blog entry! glad to hear everything is moving along nicely.