Monday, April 27, 2009

And So It Begins

Warning: Not everyone may want to read this. There's shouldn't be anything offensive, it's just personal and frankly, you may just not want to know this much about me! :)

Mark and I decided a little over a year ago that we were ready for another child. But it did not happen the first month. Having the patience of a newborn baby myself combined with the history of getting pregnant on demand the first time around, I decided that clearly we were not intended to get pregnant and we should adopt. Yup, I decided that when we did not get pregnant the first month of trying. I have felt called to adopt for as long as I can remember so I think I was kind of relieved when we did not get pregnant. It was like I had received the green light from God to go ahead with adoption. But Mark was not getting the signal. Again and again I heard the message that God will put it on both of our hearts if it is to be. It is something that only God can make happen. Eventually I realized that God put that burden on my heart for many reasons but He was not leading us to adopt at this time.

But, most of our time spent "trying" to get pregnant has mostly been time I spent trying to talk Mark into adoption (maybe it's been a mind-over-body thing and that's why I have not gotten pregnant). We haven't really "tried" anything. I haven't taken my temperature or had my hormones tested. I did buy and ovulation kit 1 time and decided it was the equivalent of peeing on a ouija board (and I don't believe in ouija boards so you can imagine how useless that was).

To put this in prospective, when we tried for Savannah we implemented every fertility strategy from the get go. My goal was to be proactive and not "try" for a year before I do research. When I have a goal I go for it 110%. And we did get pregnant on demand. However, I think it had more to do with God setting the stage for future lessons than my effort.

I don't know where my determination went this time around. We haven't really tried the past few months because I was in the middle of marathon training. But a couple of days after it was over I said, "Weren't we going to try to get pregnant?" And off to the acupuncturist I went.

Why the acupuncturist you may ask? My sister struggled with infertility for years and was told she would never have children. After 2 months under the acupuncturists care she was with child. And now she is pregnant for the 3rd time in 3 years. What her acupuncturist failed to do was make a return appointment to have her flow of chi turned back down! She just can't stop those little surprises from coming these days. Just kidding, I'm sure after this 3rd she still has a couple of cute kiddos left in her. My mom sees an acupuncturist as well for general health. And so, coming from an all-natural-granola-munching family, my first thought was to turn to eastern medicine.

Maybe I am really ready for Peteet #2 now because I have to tell you, I am excited about this!

Up next...my first appointment.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Then I will be excited along with you!