Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Davy Crockett has replaced Barbie



I spent much of last week marinating in Texas history, politics, and pride. One might think this is because I went to Austin to testify in favor of the raw milk bill (details here). But in reality my participation in state politics was only a small part of it.

Savannah has been learning about Texas history in school this past month, just in time to coincide perfectly with a trip to the capitol. Now I have always been a lover of all things historical but even I cannot fathom how they have taught Texas history to this age group in a way that Davy Crockett has now surpassed Barbie in a young girl's heart.



Savannah fell in love with Austin and the capitol building. Every cannon we passed she asked if it was from the Battle of Gonzales where the Texas Revolution started. If you don't know the story of that famous cannon, google it cause I'm not telling it again!




We spent 11 hours at the capitol building last Wednesday. In between site seeing and waiting to testify we spent time on the beautiful grounds outside. We even had a tree that was "our" tree to hang out under. I think that's when you know you have been there too long.




Representative Brian Hughes welcomed us with open arms to Austin. He even gave Savannah his business card and when we walked away she said, "I am a six-year-old kindergartner and I have Representative Brian Hughes card. How cool is that!"




Savannah even bonded with one of his staff members. She helped to make it a good experience for Savannah.




I was suppose to testify for the bill sometime after 4 but the session ran long and I did not testify until 11pm. At that point things around the capitol kind of slow down and Savannah started feeling right at home. She was never bad and was even more patient than myself at times. Eventually our committee hearing started and she fell asleep in my lap. After testifying I carried her 300 or 400 yards to the car at almost midnight...in heels.




The next day we went to the Texas State History Museum which was wonderful! Show me another museum where kids learn to ride side saddle!




And it was the museum's 10th birthday so everyone got in free.



After reading every monument and children's book about the Texas revolution we drove home listening to The Yellow Rose of Texas, The Eyes of Texas are Upon You, And Deep in the Heart of Texas ALL the way home. All the way. By the last hour of the trip I started feeling like I needed a little time in Colorado! No seriously, our girls trip was a blast.

No comments: