Friday, December 10, 2010

Got Milk?

"Why should all virtue work in one and the same way? Why should all give dollars? It is very inconvenient to us country folk, and we do not think any good will come of it. We have not dollars; merchants have;let them give. Farmers will give corn; poets will sing; women will sew, laborers will lend a hand, the children will bring flowers."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

This quote made me think of a friend of mine who has little money so they tithe in fresh milk from their cows. Their pastor is never without that nourishing vitamin rich liquid which in return makes him stronger for Christ's work.

I can think of all the talent and resources my friends have, of which money is the least of these. If we all gave of these things would we need big government to provide such services? What if we paid our taxes with what resources we had? For some it could be money. For others it might be sewing clothes for the poor. Or knowledge waiting to be shared.

I just paid for my CPR certification class with 2 homemade meals. I'm sure I could toss out a few more for the homeless as a means to pay taxes. My cupboard holds and excess of homemade pear preserves laced with warming cinnamon. A congressman can use that as payment right?

My Dad works for the IRS. Maybe I should bring this subject up over the holidays. He is sure to either agree wildly or ask me when I took up the habit of smoking pot!

I do love the quote though. Money really is the least imaginative of our resources.