Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Pin Cushion Speaks

A few questions have arisen regarding acupuncture and the following is my attempt to answer them.

Let's start with the question everyone wants to ask but few have been brave enough to. Does acupuncture hurt? This is an easy one. Not really. It's not like at the Dr.'s office when they say "you might feel some mild discomfort." Every time I have heard those words actual pain has followed. This is not mild discomfort. Hypodermic needles have holes in the which yank a plug of your skin out even if it is a tiny needle. This provides, "mild discomfort." Acupuncture needles are solid (because there are not used to pull or push fluid through them) and they ever-so-slightly part the fibers in the skin instead of removing a chunk of flesh. Thus, have no fear of the multiple needle sticks. Now, I must warn you that at times they will hit a spot that is sensitive (I have only had this happen twice) but it is a dull pain (less pain and more like a noticeable feeling)not a sharp needle pain, that passes in just a few seconds.

Once I did try to move my arms and hands to turn on my Ipod while I had needles in my wrist. Yes, this was dumb and it did hurt.

Question #2: Do you think acupuncture is the reason you became pregnant? This is a harder one. Of course there is no way to prove it one way or the other. I began acupuncture the week I was ovulating so it's possible. The herbs could have had an effect as well. Of course I also began posting my story online at the same time and SEVERAL people began praying for us at once. Part of me thinks God was just waiting for me to open up and reach out to others (I am the one in the room who never has a prayer request for myself). Perhaps it was the perfect storm and everything came together at once. One thing I do know for sure is that God had a hand in every step of it and all praise goes to Him.

Question #3: So what do you think of acupucture after this experience? I'm sold! I saw my acu-p the day we left for our train trip. He graphed my electerical currents again and I had balanced out (perhaps why I was able to get pregnant). He began some pregnancy accupuncture to keep me balanced. I mentioned that I was worried about the constant rocking of the train. We ate many meals and slept a few nights on the train. That's a lot of rocking for the first trimester. Although I did't have morning sickness with Savannah, I knew the potential was there for this adventure. He preformed some acupuncture specifically for that and off I went. Let me tell you that I had NO problems in spite of rich foods and rough rides. None. Nada. Zilch! And the few pregnancy symptoms I was experiencing went away (except the fact that I need my sleep). Oh yes, I am a beliver. My acu-p said he likes to see his pregnant patients once a month for balancing and I plan to continue with him. It will be fun to compare the 2 pregnances (one with acu-p and one without). I'll keep you posted.

Are there any other questions? I'm on a roll here with the whole opening up thing!

By the way, we are still in Aspen so if I don't respond to your emails quickly, it's because I'm curled up on the couch, reading a book in front of a huge window which reveals snow capped mountains. And, just laying around enjoying being pregnant!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sounds like you're having a relaxing awesome week in Aspen. It also sounds like an extremely beautiful view!