Friday, June 27, 2008

This is my favorite summer salad! When I first read this recipe in Southern Living I thought it sounded weird but I knew I liked every ingredient in the recipe. Once I tried it I realized it encompasses everything I want in a summer treat: juicy, fresh, cold, sweet, salty, with a tangy finish.




Tomato and Watermelon Salad

5 cups seeded watermelon, cubed
1 ½ pounds ripe tomatoes, cubed
3 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
½ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Cracked pepper to taste

Combine watermelon and tomatoes in a large bowl; sprinkle with sugar and salt, tossing to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
Stir in onion, vinegar, and oil. Cover and chill 2 hours. Serve chilled with cracked black pepper.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Funny you would post this today. I was just telling someone about how great it was and I was going to have to find the recipe. Thanks for broadening my scope of "salads"! Have a Great weekend!

Christina said...

Glad you liked it. Several people have requested this recipe!