Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Real Day Dreams

Yesterday afternoon Archer and I could be found hanging out in the kitchen. Up from his afternoon nap and past nursing/cuddle/wake-up time we still found ourselves together. I was holding him as he stuck his favorite "Archer Bear Blanket" in my mouth and then let out a sweet baby belly laugh. Then we would wrap his arms around me and sink his head into my chest in a deep hug as if he could not love on me enough and I on him. And then we repeated the process several more times as warming sunshine poured through the kitchen window. The moment was so perfect and sweet I almost expected a care bear to come flying through the window at any moment.

At that point I noticed my ipod was still playing random tunes from my library and Canon in D filled the air.

I can't help but think of weddings when I hear this song. Although it was not played at my own wedding, I have heard it at no less than 25 weddings and that's probably an underestimation.

I looked at Archer who was in my arms nose to nose with me smiling and realized that these are the moments a bride dreams of on her wedding day and I am blessed enough to live out past day dreams.

There is nothing better than your wedding day when you get to marry the man of your dreams. You wonder if you will have kids. Which one of you will they look like? Will you stay home with them? And will it all be so wonderful and perfect like a dream?

Perfect? Um, no. Wonderful? Oh, yes!

Later, Savannah came home from school and we all played outside. She gladly accepted leadership and patiently helped her brother go down the slide 30 times. As the sun set low behind their heads, their blond hair lit up like halos framing smiles and laughter. And once again I thought back on all the things I dreamed of on my wedding day and thanked God.

And finally last night no one got sleep at all in this house. Not even Savannah who never wakes up in the middle of the night. Right now I would say I am going on 3 hours of rest. It was just a fluke I guess and evidence that life is not perfect nor a fairy tale. But if you can miss out on sleep and still get up and blog about how great it is, then I would say it's all pretty darn good!