Monday, February 22, 2010

War has officialy been declared!

Some of you already know that I was attacked while walking with Archer in our neiborhood last Thursday. For those of you who don't know, here is the story.

The sun was shining, it was not raining, it was not snowing, there were no clouds in the sky, AND it was not snowing. Finally, it felt like a Texas winter. To stave off pending cabin fever I tucked Archer into the stroller and took advaantage of this rare occasion. We turned a corner in our neighborhood and were caought off guard by any angry aggressive dog charging towards us. In disbelief of what I was seeing at first I thought this dog must be coming to play with us. Most people don't let dangerous dogs run loose (not in the city at least!). It must be friendly. But it was not.

This rabid dog was growling and circling Archer and I. He began to "nip" (or so I thought) at my ankles all the while growling and barking. Then he went for the stroller growling, snarling, and and trying to get what was inside. I felt a sharp pain in my calf and screamed for help.

Praise the Lord a neighbor heard my plea and scared the dog away. I was paralized by fear. When I am out running and walking I always run through my plan of what I would do if I were attacked...by a human! I had no plan for a dog attack. I felt helpless to protect my 7 week old baby who was down low in the stroller near the dog. The neighbor began to ask if I was ok and I finally realized my I had been bitten.

We called the police so they could have the dog picked up (this was right by an elementary school and school would let out in 1 hour!). I had 4 puncture wounds from the canine teeth and a large circular bruise from the power of his jaws. Luckily he didn't sink his teeth into the muscle. I hate to admit it but I was pretty shook up!

So 2 days later I went walking. To be safe I stayed away from the area were the attack happened even though I knew the dog was gone. And at the end of my walk another dog came charging at me from 50 yards away. I wasn't even on his street. He was growling and barking and heading for my ankles. His oh so friendly owner said, "Don't worry. He won't bite." I shared my story of 2 days ago and told him to come get his freakin' dog!

Again today, I tried to go for a walk (before it snows again tomorrow. Seriously, I live in Texas for a reason.). This time a HUGE dog charged my from 100yards away growling and barking. I screamed! There was no owner in sight. Heck, I wasn't even on his street. He finally ran off without taking a chunk of my flesh with him.

Needless to say, I am scared to death of dogs right now! Do I have dog bate smeared all over me? I am always out in our neighborhood and there are certain dog who are always out that bark and follow me. But, they never growl or get close. They just annoy me. What is going on? I live in town!

War has officially been declared on all loose dogs. The police officer who came last week told me that bear spray works best to ward off aggressive dogs. Cabela's already has our order for bear spray and it will be delivered soon! So listen up pups. If I'm intruding on your property, you have the right to protect it. Go ahead bite me if I break into your house. But if you come on public property such as the street (I'm the public therefore I own it) and so much as look at me wrong, I am taking you down! And don't even think about looking at one of my children!

4 comments:

Katy said...

CHRISTINA!! THAT IS CRAZY! I can't believe that happened! WOW..I'm so glad you and Archer are okay...i mean a dog bite doesn't seem okay but my goodness I glad they picked up the dog!

Kathy said...

Ditto to the above comment...

Lee Ann said...

So scary! My parents neighbors have had mean dogs for years and a year or so ago one got my sisters cat. They think I'm being ridiculous when I don't want to walk out to my car at night without someone watching but I'm horrified of them. Even during the day I'm always watching for them. I've always said if they are in front of me on the road I'm not stopping. So thankful yall are ok!

Glenna Workman said...

this makes me mad. people, control your dogs