Monday, October 12, 2009

Day 3

Day 3 began with breakfast at the colonial bakery. Mark and I had Virgina ham on a homemade biscuit. It was awesome. I also tried their ultra moist apple spice cake. It just tasted like fall. Do you know what I mean? Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and apples...yummmm. I wish I had a slice right now.

I took a picture of the brick oven below so Mark could build one for me. Haha. We really have talked about it before because we make so many homemade pizzas. Maybe someday....



After breakfast we visited the goal (jail). There cells weren't too bad. Did you know it was considered cruel and unusual punishment to let people sit in jail. They were only held their until their trial and then if determined guilty they got their punishment (death, public whipping, put in stocks on the town square or what ever) and then it was over. A jail sentence was not an option. Now there's a way to trim our national budget.




The famous pirate, Black Beard was caught off the coast of Virgina and his men were held in these cells. He was immediately executed.

Below is a picture of their "potty" I have no idea why it has steps leading up to it. Funny isn't it?



Savannah and Mark strolling down a lane.



Oh look, I am on this trip after all!



Here was the kitchen at the Royal Governer's Palace. They were making real food of course but you could not try any of it due to health codes. Which is ironic because it is a heck of a lot healthier than anything served at fast food restraunts.



A latern in the Palace celler.



The Palace gardens.






The Royal Governer's Palace entry way.


All of the walls were lined with weapons like this. Talk about trying to make a statement of power. He may have been British but I think with all these weapons he might have been southern at heart! (Not really, he went back to England during the revolution. Darn those Loyalists!)







The Governer's dinning room. One of the first furnaces. Call me crazy but I loved this shade of green!


Exploring the palace gardens some more. There are 10 acres of gardens.


There was an awesome maze we played around in but I never got any pictures of it. I was too busy trying to keep up with Savannah. She could fit into small spaces that a pregnant Momma just can't!




Savannah behind the Governer's mansion.

No comments: