Friday, November 13, 2009

Memories On The Tip Of My Nose

This morning I heated up a homemade cinnamon roll (we don't usually eat this sort of thing for breakfast but I have been craving them my whole pregnancy. If I have a craving for more than a week then I know it's not just a want-on-a-whim and I give in. This time it took me several months to give in and finally make them and they were worth it.) and the smell of cinnamon, butter, and yeast filled my kitchen. Do you know the smell? It's irresistible. As I took it to the table I felt the chill in the air and cozy aroma of coffee mixing with the smell of cinnamon. The combination immediately brought a childhood memory to mind.

My sister and I use to spend the summers at my grandparent's house in Colorado as children. Often my grandmother would have cinnamon rolls laying around for mornings that she did not cook. I can remember grabbing one many times on cool Colorado summer mornings.

Throughout childhood the smell of coffee brought only good memories. My parents did not drink coffee at home so the smell of coffee brewing was reserved from Granny Smiles and Papa Mel's house only. Talk about a comfort smell drumming up fun and precious memories. No wonder I couldn't wait to drink coffee when I was older!

Caught off guard, I was taken back to childhood for just a few moments this morning as the smells and the temperature came together in my senses. It's as if I were 8 years old waking up at my grandparents in Colorado. I half expected Granny Smiles sipping coffee in the kitchen as I came around the corner just waiting for me. Talk about a good morning.

As I thought more about my treasured cinnamon rolls I relayed to Savannah that this was one of her Grandma's (my mom) favorite treats to eat at her grandmother's house. Grandma says her Granny made the best cinnamon rolls (one of her favorite memories). And Grandma made them once a year for Aunt Sissy and I, usually at Christmastime (more good memories).

Savannah agreed that these are the best cinnamon rolls on the face of the planet. I think she's up for maintaining the tradition!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I loved reading this - well done!